The ONE Campaign, an advocacy group who works tirelessly to end extreme poverty, yesterday launched “2013 AIDS Report: The Beginning of the End? Tracking Global Commitments on AIDS, Volume 2“ in time for World AIDS Day on December 1. Over the last few decades, we have made tremendous progress towards fighting AIDS and for the first time ever we are at a global tipping point: When the number of new HIV infections is surpassed by the number of people newly added to treatment meaning “The beginning of the end of AIDS”. Furthermore, we now can begin to talk about AIDS on a country by country basis within Africa. There are 16 countries within Africa who have already reached the beginning of the end of AIDS, a huge accomplishment.
One of the primary ways for tackling AIDS has been through the use of antriretrovirals which prevent the transmission of HIV from mother to child. For a mere $0.40 a day, an HIV/AIDS infected mother can be treated with antiretrovirals which provides a 98% chance of stopping the transmission from mother to child during birth.
We are so close to achieving an AIDS-free generation:
In 2010, 1000 babies were born every day with HIV. Today, that number is down to 700. With action and urgency we can get that number to ZERO.
A major funding source for ending AIDS comes from The Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria which saves 100,000 lives a month. The ONE Campaign’s (RED) division works to eliminate AIDS through consumer activism by partnering with some of the world’s leading brands to offer a changing collection of iconic (RED) products. With the purchase of each (RED) product 100 % of the money raised is donated to The Global Fund. Thanks to (RED) Partners and Events over $215 million has been raised for the Global Fund, helping fund HIV/AIDS grants that have supported over 14 million people.
Just in time for the holidays and World AIDS Day, (RED) has launched six exciting new partnerships to help raise money for the Global Fund to end AIDS. Here is a brief look into these unique, gifts that give back.
- “DANCE (RED) SAVES LIVES2: Last year, this collection of amazing dance music from around the world hit the #1 spot on iTunes Dance Chart in 33 countries and is bound to be a great seller again this year. Released on 11/25, DANCE (RED), SAVE LIVES2 is a brand new compilation album featuring the world’s biggest dance artists and huge names from the world of pop. It features 24 tracks – with new tracks and exclusive remixes. The album features tracks from artists such as Katy Perry, Tommy Trash, Empire of The Sun, Calvin Harris, Tiësto, Coldplay, Swedish House Mafia, Robin Thicke and Martin Solveig.
- Live Nation Entertainment:
- Kidrobot: The premier creator of limited edition art toys, signature apparel and pop culture accessories – has joined forces with Keith Haring Studio in a formidable collaboration to combat AIDS in Africa through the wonders and power of art. Available in stores and at www.kidrobot.com/ShopAll/Brands/RED
- Jonathan Adler: Debuting the (PRODUCT) RED Special Edition Tomato Pop Candle, featuring a crisp and clean garden scent and bold new exclusive (RED) packaging. Available in-stores and online at jonathanadler.com/product- RED from 11/24-2014.
- Theory Special Edition Clothing: Theory, known for their simple design philosophy, clean silhouettes, quailty, craftsmanship and fit, has partnered with (RED) to introduce the new (THEORY)RED collection, including some of Theory’s classic pieces featured in (RED)’s signature color. Available 12/1-31 worldwide in stores and at red.theory.com
- Sir Richards (RED) condoms: (RED) will be launching our first ever condom partnership to target millennials and consumers in a new way. This hip condom brand will be donating 5% of the proceeds from the (RED) pack to the Global Fund through the UNF in addition to their standard buy one-give one model (which currently focuses on distribution in Haiti). Available in stores and online at sirrichards.com. The product will be featured prominently in CVS stores, Whole Foods, Fab.com and other retailers as well as online from December 1st through Valentine’s Day 2014.
Starting December 1st you can find many of your favorite (RED) products on the (FAB)RED store on fab.com. Make sure to place your orders by December 16th to qualify for holiday shipping!