Today is the last leg of a two-week trip bringing me from Minneapolis to Orlando, Florida to Belize, Cozumel, Fort Lauderdale and then Tucson, Arizona via Dallas and Phoenix. It has been quite the way to end 2013 and ring in the New Year.
Over the last two weeks, I have set my watch up and down an hour multiple times adding a little confusion trying to keep track of what day and time it was and where I was when I woke up in the middle of the dark night in yet another strange place. I have covered lots of ground and sea and now am looking forward to heading back to the frigid cold winter of Minnesota.
2014 marks the beginning of my fourth year of blogging. It is hard to believe that once January rolls around it will be three years since I began writing thirdeyemom. It has been an amazing, life-changing journey in which I’ve met lots of new friends and have learned a lot about my own hopes and dreams.
As I head into the new year, I am finally going to be pushing the button so to speak and moving this blog over a self-hosted site (which I have been working on since August). You should notice nothing on your end as long as all goes smoothly. I shall hope to have all email subscribers be automatically moved and all you shall notice differently is that my blog layout is just a little bit changed. Other than that, all should be the same and I hope to continue expanding my content with new travel adventures, social good stories and whatever else comes my way that inspires me to share.
I still have some wonderful photos to post from my recent journey and hope to do so as soon as I get back home. In the meantime, wishing you all a very Happy New Year and all the best in 2014! Thank you all, each and every one of you who reads my blog and also who comments to brighten my day. I sincerely appreciate it.
Top Five Favorite Moments
- Seeing my youngest start first grade.
- Sipping wine at the Bastille in Paris with my mother and sister on a special trip.
- A family ski run down a black diamond with my husband, son and daughter in Big Sky Montana.
- Meeting the beautiful girls at Protsahan in India and seeing there is hope to move beyond what you’ve been given.
- Skiing on that windy day in Loveland, Colorado with my father and brother.
Top Five Favorite Books
- “The Alchemist” by Paulo Coehlo
- “Baking Cakes in Kigali” by Gaile Parkin
- “Behind the Beautiful Forevers”: Life, Death and Hope in a Mumbai Undercity by Katherine Boo
- “Keeping Hope Alive” – By Nobel Peace Prize Nominee Dr. Hawa Abdi with Sarah Robbins.
- “I am Malala: the Girl Who Stood Up For Education and Was Shot By the Taliban” by Malala Youszfzai with Christina Lamb
Top movie that made me think: “12 Years a Slave”
World Events that happened that made me act:
- Typhoon Haiyan
- Syria crisis
- Approaching the end of AIDS and fighting to end preventable childhood deaths.
HAPPY NEW YEAR AND ALL THE BEST IN 2014! May the year be full of joy and happiness.